Since I had my braces applied at My Medical Clinic five months ago, this has been one of the questions I have been asked the most. “Why didn’t I get invisalign?” It’s a pretty straight forward answer “ I wasn’t a good candidate for Invisalign.’’ So today I thought I would break down the reasons as to why I wasn’t a good candidate.
The first reason was my treatment was too complex for Invisalign. My teeth were overcrowded and I needed to have three teeth removed to make room for my teeth to be able to align into a straight position. As I needed teeth removed, I have now three large spaces that need to be closed, that I don’t believe can be achieved with Invisalign. I also had an overbite which links to the main reason why I wasn’t a good candidate for Invisalign and that was down to my bite. Invisalign would not be able to correct my bite. I often used to get pains in my jaw due to my bite not been aligned and traditional braces can correct your bite.
If like me you are not a good candidate for invisalign don’t be disheartened, they are definitely some pros to wearing traditional braces so I thought I would share them with you.
The Pros to Traditional Braces
- Traditional braces are a fixed brace. I have my braces tightened every four weeks. Unlike with Invisalign that can be taken in and out while you eat, traditional braces are working 24 hours every day, which result in a quicker treatment. This is obviously a case by case basis, but braces have been in practice for much longer than Invisalign, therefore Orthodontists have more experience with it and can predict the outcome. This doesn’t mean that they work better on other people but it’s best to ask your specialist what would be best for your case.
- Also as traditional braces are fixed, no need to worry about misplacing trays etc.
- Traditional braces allow you to make minor changes during your treatment.
- Traditional braces tend to be more affordable than Invisalign.
- Traditional braces can fix your bite.
- There are also different types of braces that you can choose from :
- Metal Braces / Traditional Braces
- Ceramic Braces
- Lingual Braces
Invisalign is aesthetically pleasing to the eye and is great for correcting minor issues. Not everyone is a good candidate for Invisalign so don’t be disappointed if it does not suit you. There are also pros to wearing traditional braces and don’t forget, braces are only temporary and once they are removed you will be left with a beautiful healthy smile.
For more information or a price list check out My Medical Clinic in Cherrywood, Dublin